Lets talk about filters!
Furnace and AC filter changes are a chore that is often overlooked, even though a clogged filter is the number one cause of HVAC system failure. Air filters remove bits of pollen, mold, and dust preventing them from circulating around your home. They are also considered your first line of defense against larger objects, like bits of loose insulation, that may cause damage or fire risk to your system.
Effects of a Dirty Filter
The blower fan in your system has to work harder to push air. The harder it works, the more energy it uses. Thus leading to higher bills and a higher likelihood of it wearing out from strain.
Overheating or Freezing up
When the air is unable to pass through your system with ease, a number of problems can emerge. The largest problem being over heating, or freezing up. Ultimately you will be paying the same amount for energy usage or using the same amount of oil but there will be no change in your indoor temperature.
Clogged Ducts & Dirty Furniture
When air doesn’t circulate quickly, particulates can settle in your ducts and on surfaces inside your home. Changing your air filter on a routine basis is a lot easier and more affordable than having your ducts cleaned out on a routine basis.
When should you change your air filter?
The frequency in which you should change your air filter depends on the following:
- What type of filter you’re using
- Indoor Air Quality
- Number of Pets inside the home
- Number of people occupying your home
- Level of air pollution and construction in and around the home
- Vacation homes or single occupant with no pets or allergies- every 6-12 Months
- Average suburban home without pets- every 90 days
- Single pet households- every 60 days
- Multiple pet households, or households with occupants suffering from allergies- every 20-45 days
As always, Harold’s Here to help make taking care of your systems a breeze! If you’re unsure about your filter size, or when it was last changed, give us a call! Our detailed customer records keep our office staff in the loop, so answers are always just a phone call away!